Monday, September 1, 2008

Amazing Climate

Israel is a tiny country: the country is about 290 miles (470 km) in length and 85 miles (135 km) in width at its widest point (extract from http://www.mfa.gov.il/ - Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs). However, the climate greatly varies between the regions. I especially felt the difference when one day in the winter I returned from Eilat (most southern city in Israel) where it was warm and pleasant to Haifa where it was rainy and quite cold.
I also studied at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem where it snows every year. Of course, there are more 'snowy' years than others. One day I got ready to leave Jerusalem to Haifa. I went to the bus station and approached the salesperson to buy a ticket to Haifa with a big smile on my face. It had already begun to snow heavily in Jerusalem. He asked me why are you smiling so broadly and I replied 'I going to warm up in the north, in Haifa'.
When I arrived to Haifa to my home on the Carmel (mountain) I noticed that it also began to snow in this place which is very rare… No warm weather for me in Haifa on this occasion.

1 comment:

Matt Polani said...

For more extreme- often in winter-can SKI on Mt Hermon, in the northeast in morning and then pop-DOWN to Dead Sea= well below sea-level for mud baths, or- go all the way south to Eilat for scuba or para gliding by coral reefs & dolphins!!
PS- how many places in world can you FLY BELOW sea-level???