Sunday, August 31, 2008

Coping with Fear, Israeli style






Photo by: Maya Bandersky









During Second Lebanon War Hezbollah bombarded Northern Israel with hundreds, if not more, of missiles. When it happened, the sirens went on and everyone descended to the shelter below the building.
One Shabbat morning (Saturday, weekend in Israel) the sirens 'yelled' before 8 a.m. in the morning.
In the shelter, my neighbor told me that his wife can speak with Nasralah in his language (she's originally from Syria).
So I told him: 'I think that they went too far to wake us up before 8 a.m. on Shabbat'.
He looked at me and asked: 'Shoshi, when would it be ok?' I immediately replied: 'Well, 9:30 or 10 am would be fine'.

2 comments:

Matt Polani said...

During FIRST "Gulf War"- Saddam Hussein's army liked to fire some SCUD missiles every Fri eve- the start of the Sabbath in Israel

Shoshi said...

I had no idea... that's very good :-)
Saddam doesn't know perhaps that the first 'Gulf War' was probably the safest period in Israel :-)