Monday, December 1, 2008

A Very Special Dinner

Something that made me really happy and also surprised me was about a couple (neighbors) who are ultra-orthodox and are my friends too. I met the woman who waited for the bus. I told her that I loved being with them at the Kabalat shabat so much that I want to write this story in my blog in English. She didn't know what a blog is, so I explained her. She loved the idea but she was surprised that I enjoyed myself so much. She told me that they thought it was too long for me or that I didn't like it which was the reason for not inviting me again. I said that I loved it and I could have told her if she asked me. She asked me to print it out after I publish it so her husband could translate it for her, as well as other stories from this blog. She was curious. I couldn't believe it.

They invited me once for a Saturday evening or Kabalat Shabat which was a very special event for me. It was the first time in my life that I had Kabalat Shabat with an ultra-orthodox family. I was surprised to find out how unruly the children were (5) (as in our family…) when the father said the prayer over the bread/hala… The mother begged them to listen but they were more interested in me who smiled all the time. They have beautiful kids. After we finished eating dinner, I was their entertainer and told them stories about Africa. They intently listened to me and loved it. They almost jumped on me giving me a necklace, asking me questions. It was a wonderful experience with much laughter and joy around the table…

You know, the funny thing is that they felt that I didn't like it while at the same time I thought that they didn't want to invite me again because I said something wrong. So we both felt rejected while being totally unaware of that we both enjoyed each other's company. I was so happy to find out that everything was just fine.

Recently the father of the family was strolling with his baby, while
Google Maps drove by and took pictures of the street. He was so happy to see them that he posed with a broad smile on his face to the camera while holding the baby carriage. We know that Google Maps blurs the people (great, BTW). But in this case, please leave this picture as is; don't blur his face.

No comments: